Cleve Hall, Champion Hill|Gleve Hall, Champion Hill||

Cleve Hall

Author / Wednesday, 08 April 2015 00:00

Cleve Hall as it once stood on Champion Hill circa 1922. This aerial shot taken by Aerofilms shows the extent of the Cleve Hall estate and the adjacent property to the left, Hill Lodge. Hill Lodge was built in 1804 and Cleve Hall in 1807. According to Standfords map of the area in 1862 the house was also known as Dulwich Hill House (not to be confused with the house of the same name on Herne Hill)

In 1895 Cleve Hall was leased to the Pelican House School for girls as can be seen noted on the Ordnance survey map of 1894/5. Later it also became known as Rydal Mount, one of three hotels grouped under the Cleve Hall Estate - Hill Lodge, Rydal Mount and Champion Hill House. Champion Hill House is a bit of a mystery however as it appears on some maps of the period but not on others. Sadly all of the properties were demolished to make way for modern housing blocks between 1952 and 1956. 

There is another ariel view of the neighbouring estates to the left of this shot below:

{div width:100%|float:left|class:k2thumbinsert}{link}{thumb}{title}{/link} {introtext} {readmore:Read Full Article|k2readmore}{/div}

  • House / Streetname: Cleve Hall
  • Year: 1922
  • Authority: Southwark
  • Status: Demolished
  • Author: Aerofilms Ltd
  • Ref: None
  • Source: Postcard (Unused)
  • Site Ref: CAMB-PO-92
  • Type: Hotel / Hostel
  • Street: Champion Hill
  • Town: Camberwell
  • City: London
  • Postcode: SE5
  • Longitude: -0.087655
  • Latitude: 51.462806

Find

  1. Map
  2. Street



Keywood
 
Street
 
Town
 

Total Count: 132